Triple blow for Scarborough Hockey Club

Scarborough Hockey Club men's 1sts suffered two home defeats at the weekend, while the 2nds lost 10-2 at Division Six North title-chasers Garforth.

Thursday, 25th February 2016, 10:36 am
Updated Thursday, 25th February 2016, 11:05 am
Scarborough Hockey Men's 1st Team V Bradford University at Scarborough College Sun 7th Feb 2016. TEAM PHOTO: Back Row - Sam Echevarria, Joe Cook, Aaron Dyson, Laurence Webb, Tim Allison, Rikki Lawrence, Mike Waterfield, and Chris To. Front Row - Chris Tait, Harry Renwick, Tim Erkiert, Mike Humphries, Jay Meatheringham, and Josh Briggs.

Scarborough 1sts' game on Saturday saw them play host to Wakefield 5ths.

The opening exchanges of the first half was becoming cagey with tackles flying in all over the pitch, which was affecting the flow of the match. The umpires had to step in to calm the situation down.

Wakefield took the early initiative by going 1-0 up after a swift counter-attack.

Aaron Dyson had the best opportunity to draw the home side level, but the attempted drag flick from the resulting short corner went agonizingly wide of the left post.

Laurence Webb drew the hosts level through a fantastic solo goal by dodging numerous tackles by midfielders and defenders with precise ball control. Once inside the D the midfielder created space allowing for a reverse shot to fly past the keeper.

Nicholas Thompson almost gave Scarborough the lead after an explosive run from midfield, unfortunately his strike at the top of the D shaved the left hand post, with the diving keeper beaten.

On the stroke of half-time Wakefield moved ahead, precise passing and movement giving them time to place their shot in the back of the net.

The second half was very evenly matched with numerous chances been created at various angles..

Tim Allison was in fine form, making several excellent saves. Scarborough were reduced to 10 men for the final 15 minutes as captain James McMillian was sent off.

Scarborough made adjustments to their formation, man of the match Rikki Lawrence providing excellent organising in defence to nullify Wakefield’s counter attacks, but the hosts were unable to hold out as Wakefield added a third through a precise strike.

On Sunday, the 1sts played host to Thirsk and Malton 2nds

Thirst & Malton started the brightest out of the 2 sides by transferring the ball efficiently around the pitch looking to stretch Scarborough’s unit. The home defence of Michael Waterfield, Lawrence, Mathew Powell and Patrick Adams were posing a huge task for Thirsk & Malton to bypass.

The away side's pressure finally paid off with two effective counterattacks giving Thirsk & Malton a 2-0 lead.

Scarborough instantly responded, midfielder Lewis Walker reducing the away side's advantage after guiding the ball in from close range from an excellent cross from the right wing.

The goal gave the home side a huge lift as they continued to assert pressure on visitors' goal. Jay Meatheringham, Dyson and Tom Leech were moving into wonderful positions inside the D. The midfield pair of Webb and Jonny Scott were drilling excellent balls into the D which caused Thirsk & Malton defence issues, but the front men where unable to convert their opportunities.

Early in the second half, Webb had a wonderful opportunity to draw the hosts level after being awarded a penalty flick, but the keeper anticipated the direction of the ball by getting a strong hand at the right post.

Euan Harker was keeping Thirsk & Malton at bay with a string of wonderful saves. Man of the match Powell was having a solid game in defence but despite the home side's chances the visitors wrapped up the game through a blistering counter attacking move, which the ball was slotted through the legs of Harker.

With only a minute to go Thirsk & Malton nearly added a fourth, but Harker did brilliantly to reduce the angle, though a collision between the visiting attacker and Harker saw the keeper taken off due an injury.

Scarborough 2nds' final home game of the season saw them suffer a 10-2 defeat against high-flying Garforth.

Garforth flew out of the blocks quickly to establish a 3-0 lead with precise passing and movement around the D, but Chris Tait superbly put Scarborough right back into the match with a reverse shot from a well-drilled short corner. The visitors upped their game by adding a further two goals before half-time through a short corner and a reverse shot.

The home side had a great opportunity at the beginning of the second half as midfielder Josh Briggs had an excellent opportunity to add a second goal with an explosive run to close down a loose ball. The midfielder was unable to convert the opportunity as he dragged his shot agonisingly past the right post.

Garforth continued to maintain their level of performance throughout the second half with efficient counter attacks to surge into a 10-1 lead.

Scarborough had time to add a second goal, Tait assisting with a sublime run from defence to attack by beating numerous challenges from Garforth and crossing into a crowded area where striker Joe Cook was able to tap in at the left post.

Man of the match was Charlie Meatheringham for an excellent debut in attack, harassing Garforth’s midfield when in possession of the ball and linking up well with his teammates.

Scarborough 1sts are now not in action until Saturday March 5 when they travel to Thirsk & Malton 2nds in the reverse fixture for a 4.30pm pushback. Scarborough 2nds are at Harrogate 6ths on Saturday for a 12.30pm pushback.