Hunmanby seal East Riding Cup final spot

Hunmanby United beat Beverley Town Reserves in the semi-finals of the East Riding Senior County Cup on Wednesday evening.

Wednesday, 6th April 2016, 8:25 pm
Updated Wednesday, 6th April 2016, 8:41 pm
Hunmanby United, red and white kit, are through to the final of the East Riding Senior County Cup

Darren Crawford’s side produced a stunning comeback to seal their place in the final of the competition following a 4-3 success in a game played at Pocklington Town’s ground.

United were 2-0 down at half-time, and looked dead and buried when they conceded a third goal after 55 minutes.

However they pulled one back in the 70th minute when James Pinder headed home from a corner.

Cameron Dobson then reduced the arrears further, netting from the penalty spot after being brought down in the Beverley box.

Pinder struck again to draw Hunmanby level in the 84th minute before Ollie Milner grabbed a dramatic winner with just seconds of normal time remaining.

Goal Sports remain on track for promotion from Division Three after digging deep to claim a 2-1 win at Filey Town 3rds.

The home team dominated the first period on a waterlogged pitch at Clarence Drive and only a string of fine saves from Sports keeper Tom Peacock kept his side in the game.

Filey were made to pay for their profligacy in front of goal when Niall Prentice gave the visitors the lead against the run of play when he fired home from 20 yards, 10 minutes into the second period.

A moment of controversy then arrived when Sports’ player-boss Mark Plumpton was sent off for handling a goal-bound header from a corner on his own line, despite the ball appearing to strike him in the groin.

With the visitors reduced to 10 men Dave Brannan Jr converted the resulting penalty kick to tie things up.

Town pushed hard for a winner but it was the away side who took all three points courtesy of a 35-yard strike from Tyson Stubbings.

A furious Plumpton said: “I’ve never seen anything like it, the ball hit me between my legs, and somehow the referee has given handball against me.

“Even the Filey players were laughing at the decision it was that obvious, but the main thing is that we got three points.

“The pitch was horrendous and Filey fielded a very strong side and murdered us in the first half, but we dug in and got a result.”

Gloveman Peacock was named man of the match for Sports, who are now just one point behind second-placed Eastway Sports with four games in hand, while Aaron Howard impressed for Town.