Saturday League: Park too strong for Wasps

Defending champions Newlands Park returning to winning ways in the Scarborough News Saturday League division one with a 4-1 home success against Westover, while leaders Edgehill romped to an 8-1 win at Ryedale Sports and second-placed West Pier won at Hunmanby and third-placed Filey triumphed 5-0 at Sleights.

By Andy Bloomfield
Saturday, 11th October 2014, 7:10 pm

Drew McCoubrey banged in all three goals as Newlands led 3-0 at the break, his first and third were great finishes after forceful runs, while his second saw him fire in after his penalty was saved.

With 20 minutes left Wasps pulled a goal back when Chris Hannam charged down a clearance by the keeper and slotted home, but sub Stew Bates killed the game off for Park.

Boss Shaun Mancrief hailed McCoubrey, midfielder Danny Jenkinson and defender Kile Fields as his star men in the side’s best display of the season so far. Wasps boss Jamie Heritage singled out striker Curtis Rose as his man of the match in a below-par show from the visitors.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

A Neil Thomas hat-trick fired West Pier to a 4-1 win at Hunmanby United, maintaining the visitors’ unbeaten start to the season.

The other Pier goal came from a Gaz Thomas penalty, with the scorers, alongside Tommy Barker and Will Jenkinson, all on top form for Andy Spivey’s side.

Pacesetters Edgehill chalked up their sixth win in as many games with an 8-1 rout of basement club Ryedale.

Carl Hepples and Danny Collins banged in two goals apiece for the visitors, with Liam Cooper, Lloyd Henderson, sub Jordan Shaw and Tom Hickin also netting for Steven Clegg’s team. A cheeky chip from Jamie Fewster was Ryedale’s only consolation.

Hickin volleyed in the goal of the game from 16 yards, while Hepples, Cooper and sub Jordan Shaw all shone for Edgehill.

Filey Town turned on the style in their 5-0 win at Sleights.

Lalan Flynn’s fine run and cross set up right-back Dan Baldry to poke home the opener at the back post, and Flynn then volleyed in his side’s second after fine work down the left from youngster Nathan Vernon.

After a steady first-half show the visitors turned the heat up after the interval and made it 3-0 with a strike from Ricky Tomlinson after a good pass from Cameron Dobson and the latter then made it 4-0 with a free-kick.

The goal of the game saw centre-back Gary Wardell start an eight-pass move and finish it off to secure a 5-0 success.

Ayton eased their relegation fears with a crucial 3-1 win at Whitby Fisherman’s Society despite playing for more than an hour with only 10 men.

The villagers were reduced to 10 men after only 25 minutes when Mikey Pickering was sent off for his second bookable offence.

Despite going down to 10 men, Simon Rigg headed in the opener to give Ayton a 1-0 half-time lead, and although the hosts equalised five minutes into the second half a fine strike from Dan Peel and a cracking 25-yard scorcher from Rob Ward capped a fine display by the away team.

Tyson Stubbings was the man of the match for Ayton.

Second division leaders Scalby earned a 4-2 home win in a dramatic clash against Duchess, which saw them pick up four injuries and play the closing minutes of the game with only 10 men due to an injury to keeper Tom Manson.

Carl Marton gave the hosts the lead a minute before half-time, slotting home the rebound after his initial effort was blocked.

John Bateman then set up Mike Hartnett to double Scalby’s lead but a clinical strike from Ian Jenkinson halved the deficit and gave Duchess hope of a revival.

The hosts steadily picked up injuries through the game and by the time Manson suffered a knock to his head there were no subs left so Scalby had to play the game out with 10 men and with Matty Turner going in goal.

Six minutes from time Hartnett made it 3-1 after a goalmouth scramble, and four minutes later sub Shaun Scales beat two men and smacked the ball into the corner of the net with his weaker left foot to seal the win, although a late own goal made it 4-2.

Hartnett was named as Scalby’s man of the match but boss Daniel Gregory was quick to single out the efforts of centre-back Jake Scutt who, despite picking up a shoulder injury in the 10th minute, stood firm for the whole game at the heart of the Scalby defence.

Duchess chief Paul McBean hailed the efforts of left-back Matty Hobson, who was their man of the match, while Chris Watson and Adam north also shone.

Whitby RUFC won 5-1 at West Pier Reserves to keep their promotion challenge on track.

Marc Usher opened the scoring for Whitby with a lob from the edge of the area after a fine pass from Damon Craig, and the latter then netted after a pass from Harry Smith to make it 2-0, only for Mikey Barker to break through and halve the deficit for Pier.

After the interval, Whitby winger Mikey Kilpatrick took the game away from Pier, he was fouled early in the second half and from the resulting free-kick by Benn Suillivan Usher headed in his second into the top corner.

Man of the match Phil Spencer then surged forward taking on a couple of Pier players linking up well with Jordan Purvis and the right-back then smashing a shot into the top corner of the net to make it 4-1.

Kilpatrick capped a fine show with a neat finish after the Pier keeper had parried his original shot.

FC Rosette claimed their opening points of the season with a crucial 2-1 home win against fellow strugglers Snainton.

Midway through the first half a fine team move saw Wayne Shaw cross for Lee Wardle to slot past stand-in Snainton keeper James Wilson.

The hosts doubled their lead after the break when another flowing move saw Martin Russell pass to Danny Thompson, who finished with aplomb.

Player-boss Leigh Watson gave the visitors hope with a 75th-minute free-kick, but the Rosette defence, led by man of the match, left-back Sean Conroy, held firm under pressure from the visitors.

Matty Vincent was the Snainton man of the match with a tireless display in midfield for the villagers.