Scarborough Saturday League: Newlands land title blow against rivals Rovers

Saturday League reportsSaturday League reports
Saturday League reports
Newlands boosted their chances of lifting the Division One title courtesy of a superb 2-0 win over rivals Itis Itis Rovers at the Flamingo Land Stadium.

Goals in either half from striker Liam Salt sealed the huge win for Paddy Mancrief’s Newlands side, who moved five points clear at the top of the table after their victory.

Boss Mancrief handed the man of the match honours to Dan Freer, who suffered a nasty eye injury but battled on regardless.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Rovers boss Jordan Lee was far from impressed with his under-par outfit.

Edgehill Reserves with the Division Two shield. Picture: Alec Coulson.Edgehill Reserves with the Division Two shield. Picture: Alec Coulson.
Edgehill Reserves with the Division Two shield. Picture: Alec Coulson.

Newlands’ title hopes were further boosted after Edgehill were held to a 1-1 draw by Hunmanby United.

Leigh Franks’ United side went in at the break a goal to the good, Chris Duley firing his side into the lead from a corner.

Edgehill sealed a point in the second half thanks to Joe Gallagher’s penalty.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

United were reduced to 10 men when Lalan Flynn was shown a red card.

Franks said: “All the lads were fantastic.”

Scalby boosted their chances of beating the drop with a 4-1 win at home against Filey Town at Carr Lane.

Goals from Rob Speight and Jack White put the Otters 2-0 up before Town player-boss Tom Micklethwaite scored from the spot to make it 2-1 heading in at the interval.

A superb header at the back post from Kyle O’Toole then made it 3-1 to the hosts before a thumping 40-yard strike from man of the match Jake Standing wrapped up the scoring for Sam Medd’s side.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Division Two champions Edgehill Reserves battled back to beat Snainton 4-2.

Snainton took the lead after good work from Liam Mintoft, who then crossed in to Connor Bell to tap home for 1-0.

Winger Reuben Staveley got the equaliser for Alec Coulson’s men, lashing home just before half-time.

Snainton then claimed the lead once again through a free header from Aidan McCallion.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Edgehill defender Connor Avison then found himself up front and he showed great composure when he slotted under the Snainton’s advancing stand-in keeper Leigh Watson.

Champs Edgehill went ahead for the first time in the contest when striker Jake Moore turned neatly and smashed home from close range.

It was soon 4-2 when Matty Rowley stepped up stroked a free-kick home.

Man of match was winger Staveley with keeper Freddie White also impressing for the victors, who were presented with the Division Two shield afterwards.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Seamer Reserves raced to a superb 5-1 victory on the road at FC Rosette.

Paul Greatorex’s side went 1-0 up thanks to Chris Stubbings’ strike before an own goal by Ben Robinson doubled their advantage.

It was soon 3-0, Stubbings hitting his second.

Jenson Bradbury made it 4-0 before Rosette hit back through Si MacDonald, but the scoring was wrapped up by Cam Greatorex for Seamer.

Callum Webster shone for victors while goalscorer MacDonald and Luke Foster impressed for Rosette.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Eastfield Town failed to raise a side for their home game against Scalby Reserves.

West Pier Reserves have moved through to the final of the League Trophy without kicking a ball in the competition to date.

Cayton Athletic failed to raise a side for their semi-final clash.