Seymour’s treble keeps Wasps flying high

Westover Wasps will head into the new year as the leaders of the Scarborough News Saturday League after their 6-0 win at home to Fusion Resources division one strugglers Ayton.

By Andy Bloomfield
Saturday, 20th December 2014, 8:33 pm

The Wasps opened the scoring when Liam Buglass’ ball over the top was powered home by wing-back James Seymour, and the same duo linked up for Westover’s second, Seymour this time firing into the top corner of the net.

Great team play saw them make it 3-0, some fine passing leading to Aiden McCallion passing to James Young, who rounded the keeper and slotted home.

A strong run from Luke Jones down the left flank which saw him take the ball past four defenders resulted in him shooting past the Ayton keeper and into the bottom corner.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

With the win already theirs, Wasps added a fifth after the interval when Ryan Matson’s cross was only half-cleared and Buglass smashed home from 35 yards and into the top corner.

Seymour completed his hat-trick with another shot into the bottom corner.

Buglass, Seymour and McCallion were the star men for Wasps.

Ryedale Sports secured their first points of the season with a 5-0 home win against fellow strugglers Hunmanby United, striker Sam Burns firing in four goals.

Burns opened the scoring after only three minutes, and fine play from Jordan Thackeray and Martin Foxton set Burns up for his second on 25 minutes.

Just before half-time Burns chipped in to complete his hat-trick.

On the hour mark man of the match Burns made sure of the win and five minutes later Foxton headed in their fifth and final goal.

USB managed to earn a 2-0 win at Sleights despite heading north with a patched-up side and no subs.

After a goalless first half, the visitors opened the scoring against the strong wind, Tommy Day racing clear to score a cracking solo goal and Darren Walters adding an impressive second from 40 yards after winning the ball in midfield.

Boss Dave Oxley was proud of all 11 players and was keen to share the man-of-the-match between all of them.

Left-back Ed Turner was the star man for Sleights.

Whitby RUFC took over top spot in division two with a 3-1 win against Newlands Park Reserves at a windswept Oliver’s Mount.

Benn Sullivan fired Whitby in front in the 15th minute when he drilled in a deflected effort from an acute angle, and 10 minutes later Phil Spencer raced into the area to collect a Sam Richardson pass and expertly lob the Park keeper.

A cracking 20-yard lob from Sam Chambers on the hour mark brought Park back into the contest but three minutes from time Mikey Kilpatrick - who had missed a couple of chances earlier on - sealed the win.

Jordan Purvis was the man of the match for the visitors, while Spencer also shone.

Cayton Corinthians battled back for a 5-5 draw at home to title-chasers Filey Town Reserves, the latter’s first dropped points of the season.

Town opened the scoring on five minutes, but two minutes later debutant Josh Sands, who has just re-signed for the club from Edgehill Reserves, netted from a one-on-one with the Filey keeper.

Two minutes later the visitors regained the lead, but Cayton equalised again with a free-kick from Jake McAleese, only for two more Filey goals to put the high-flyers in charge at the interval.

Isaac Sands, Josh’s brother, reduced the arrears, but sloppy defending allowed Filey back in to make it 5-3.

Cayton refused to buckle and Isaac Sands hit a fourth from the penalty spot and man of the match Josh Sands earned a point for the hosts to complete a thrilling contest.

Duchess earned a superb 2-1 home win against defending champions Edgehill Reserves thanks to a combination of fine keeping from Pavel Nowaczyk and expert finishing from two-goal hero Ian Jenkinson.

Jenkinson’s first-half brace put Paul McBean’s side in control, but Martyn Ferrey halved the deficit from the spot when Oliver O’Brien awarded a penalty when Keith Skelton was adjudged to have been fouled.

Jenkinson had to leave the field at half-time due to injury, and only a string of stunning saves from the hosts’ man of the match Nowaczyk and dogged defending maintained the slender lead for Duchess and earned them all three points.

Tom Micklethwaite was the Edgehill Reserves man of the match.