Athletico2b see off brave Sherburn in 13-goal Trophy thriller

Athletico2b hung on for a thrilling 7-6 win at third division Sherburn in the Trophy Traders League Trophy, while third division leaders Seamers Sports Reserves eased to a 4-0 win at second division strugglers West Pier Reserves.

By Andy Bloomfield
Saturday, 20th December 2014, 5:13 pm

Liam Scott headed Sherburn in front, then Sam Rackham’s penalty was well-saved by visiting keeper Liam Gales and a Shaun Dodson brace put the Cats in front.

Paul Mills and 16-year-old Matty Pickard - with his first senior goal - then put Andy Adamson’s side 3-2 up at the break.

Athletico2b then blew the hosts away with five goals without reply after the break.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

Sam Swift scored the leveller with a clever strike from 18 yards through a defender’s legs then super-sub Jackson Jowett marked his debut with two stunning long-range strikes, his first with the left foot and the second with his right, both flying into the top corner of the net.

Dodson then wrapped up his hat-trick and James Ledden slotted home to make it 7-3 and the second division side seemed to be coasting home.

Sherburn had other ideas, Mills netting his second and the hosts’ fourth on 85 minutes, then two minutes later sub Luke Smith pulled it back to 7-5 and Mills completed his hat-trick to make it 7-6 but the villagers had left it too late to force the game to extra-time.

Left-back Adam Spaven was the Sherburn man of the match, while Dodson was the Cats’ star man.

Seamer Sports Reserves made easy work of their trip to lowly second division side West Pier Reserves, makeshift striker Kris Tate scoring two for the villagers.

Tate opened the scoring on 28 minutes after fine play from Conner Myerscough and two goals in rapid success early in the second half secured Seamer’s win.

Sam Walker set up Danny Glendinning for the second on 50 minutes, and five minutes later Glendinning turned creator with central midfielder Myerscough applying the finishing touch.

Fifteen minutes from time Seamer completed the scoring when a fine run down the left wing by Chris Mattison resulted in him crossing to Myerscough, but he was brought down in the area and Tate stepped up to net the penalty.

Gary Walters, playing out of position at right-back, and Myerscough, were the joint men of the match for Seamer.

Edgehill worked hard for a 1-0 home win against York League division three high-flyers Kirkbymoorside in the Scarborough FA District Cup quarter-finals.

Although the hosts dominated the first 45 minutes it took a stunning double save from Edgehill keeper Liam Salt to keep the score goalless at the interval.

In a more even second half Salt was again on fine form to keep out another two Kirkby efforts, the winner coming through an acrobatic 15-yard volley from Ricky Greening, after a fine pass from veteran sub wing-back Paul Watson.

Keeper Salt, and defenders Daniel Jones and Lloyd Henderson were the star men for the victors.

Newlands Park were made to work hard for their 2-1 win at Seamer Sports.

The hosts took the lead through Travis Wood and the score remained like this until half-time, boss Shaun Mancrief being sent off for disagreeing with a yellow card shown by referee George Roberts in the 10th minute.

Sean Exley then scored twice in the second half as Park came back to win, with Mike Wilson the man of the match for the reigning league champions.

Centre-back Jamie Hartley shone for Paddy Parke’s Seamer team with an all-action display.

West Pier also worked hard for a 4-1 win at spirited third division side Tennyson.

The hosts defended bravely for the first half-hour, but division one title-chasers Pier eventually opened the scoring on 30 minutes through a fierce volley from Martin Cooper.

Pier man of the match Tommy Barker then rifled home from 25 yards to make it 2-0 at the half-time break.

Will Jenkinson bundled home the third for Pier after good work from Luke Delve in the 70th minute, but Adrian Kiatowkski pulled a goal back to give the home side hope before Barker’s second sealed Pier’s progress.

Filey Town went through without kicking a ball in anger as their visitors Whitby Fisherman’s Society failed to raise a side for the cup-tie at Clarence Drive.

Falsgrave Athletic moved into the semi-finals of the Frank White Trophy with a 5-3 win at Sleights Reserves.

Mark Reddy opened the scoring for the visitors and Nick Stancill added a second before the interval.

Zak Hansen made it 3-0 to the away team but the hosts struck back with two goals, though a Mikey Anderson double secured the win for Falsgrave.

Sleights scored a third thanks to a stunning free-kick.

Right-back Dave Pearson was named as the Falsgrave man of the match.