Hot-shot Hird hits double as Rosette pull clear at top

Louis Hird scored two and set up one goal as FC Rosette swept to a 4-0 home win against Sleights Reserves to pull eight points clear at the top of Division Three.

By The Newsroom
Saturday, 26th March 2016, 7:20 pm
Updated Wednesday, 30th March 2016, 8:34 am
Saturday League Division Three reports
Saturday League Division Three reports

Alex Wray put Rosette ahead from the penalty spot and Hird then made it 2-0, taking full advantage of a mix-up in the Sleights defence.

Man of the match Hird struck his second from close-range after the interval and then set up Sam Loy to bundle in the fourth, the visitors reduced to 10 men late on as a player was sent off for disputing an offside decision.

Rosette are now well clear of second-placed Eastway Sports after the latter slipped to a dramatic 3-1 loss at Westover Wasps Reserves.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

Callum Myers opened the scoring midway through the first half for Rob McPherson's side, netting direct from a corner to make it 1-0 at the interval.

The visitors levelled 10 minutes into the second half with a speculative long-range shot which bounced over the keeper.

Two minutes from time Wasps went back in front, Ryan Link's inch-perfect pass finding Myers and he rounded the keeper to make it 2-1.

Myers then set up sub Noah Young to make sure of the win just a minute later.

Central midfielder Luke Rainton was named man of the match for Westover's second string.

Goal Sports are now 10 points behind Eastway with six games in hand thanks to a 4-0 home win against Scalby Reserves.

The hosts went ahead after 15 minutes when Scalby defender Karl Hansell glanced a George Friend cross past his own keeper Tom Manson, and although Nic Wheatman and Rich Brice had chances to level, neither managed to beat the home keeper and the hosts doubled their lead a minute before half-time in rather fortunate circumstances.

Rhys Howell's clearance for the visitors struck Goal Sports skipper Dan Pickard on the arm and flew past Manson, the referee allowing the goal to stand.

Mark Plumpton's side added a third 10 minutes into the second half when Friend converted a penalty and the hosts wrapped up the win with a tap-in from Friend.

Friend and Pickard shared the man of the match award for the victors while Manson was the star man for Scalby.

Sherburn earned a 4-1 home win against Itis Itis Rovers to keep the hosts' promotion hopes alive.

This was a dress rehearsal for Monday's Frank White Trophy final at Seamer, and Andy Adamson will be hoping the villagers can deliver the same result in the final.

The visitors, with a strong wind at their backs, took the lead in the first half through a cracking 15-yard header from Curtis Rose after a fine free-kick from Ali Jones, but Sherburn defended superbly to keep their deficit down to one by the break.

Only a minute into the second half Sherburn levelled when the Rovers keeper fumbled a corner directly into his own net.

Sam Rackham then struck in a hat-trick to steer his side to victory, his first goal on 51 minutes a powerful shot from the edge of the area.

Rackham made it 3-1 in the 65th minute with a precise free-kick which flew in off the far post, and the visitors' chances were then effectively killed of when Rose received a red card on 75 minutes.

The result was put beyond doubt when Rackham half-volleyed home from six yards out to complete his hat-trick.

Adamson said: "Considering we lost three players to injury before half-time this was a superb result and an excellent all-round team performance. Dan Sheader got injured early on and then his replacement Jordan Wharton was forced off and just before the break Adam Spaven went off with what looked to be a very bad ankle ligament injury which may keep him out for a long time."

Commercial and Fishburn Park Reserves ended all-square at 1-1.

Finley Morris opened the scoring for Park, who played well against the win in the first half, but the hosts also shone playing into the wind after the interval and earned a point thanks to Luke Jenkinson's finish after a clever back-heel from man of the match Josh Dolan.

Ste Hunter was named as the man of the match for the Whitby side.