Nine-man Scarborough Rep team sunk by five-star Lockwood

The Scarborough News Saturday League representative team, who played almost an hour with only nine men, bowed out in the first round of the FA Inter-League Cup at Thornaby FC against the Teesside League, losing 6-2 after extra-time - Whinney Banks striker Danny Lockwood hitting five goals.

By Andy bloomfield
Thursday, 2nd April 2015, 2:21 am

The visitors made a bright start and surged into a 2-0 first-half lead thanks to Newlands strike pairing Sean Exley and Danny Jenkinson, but the dismissal of key players Shaun Dodson and Danny Jenkinson after the interval allowed the hosts to claw it back to 2-2 and the two-man advantage took its toll in extra-time as the Tessside League rep team banged in four more goals.

A lively start saw both sides putting in some strong challenges early on, and Newlands keeper Callum Myers pulled off a fine save to keep out a Teesside shot in the 12th minute.

The Teessiders’ skipper Rhys Llewellyn (Whinney Banks) shot over when left free in the penalty area after a free-kick in the 19th minute and eight minutes later Karl Lilly (BEADS FC) went close to opening the scoring.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

Dodson picked up his first booking in the 31st minute for obstructing the tricky Lilly, but the resulting free-kick was cleared and Shaun Mancrief’s team went up the other end and won a free-kick 25 yards from goal.

Exley stepped up confidently to take the setpiece and bent his shot superbly past the defensive wall and to the left of keeper Andrew McDonald (Whinney Banks) to make it 1-0 on 33 minutes.

Less than a minute later the lead was doubled when a miskicked clearance from McDonald saw Exley’s striking partner Jenkinson slot the ball home.

With the hosts rattled, tempers began to become frayed and Jenkinson accused Lee Mahon (Whinney Banks) of spitting at him which angered the striker and he soon went into the book for a late challenge, the forward clearly incensed, as were several of his teammates, by the alleged incident.

Two minutes before half-time Mahon skied a shot over when well-placed, and a minute later wing-back Jonny Manson (Newlands) also collected a caution from referee Jan Suchecci.

In a frantic end to the half, Jenkinson also had a fine chance while Myers saved a home shot to maintain his team’s two-goal lead.

The hosts started brightly after the interval with Lilly going close again in the 47th minute.

The turning point of the game came when Dodson was handed his second yellow for a foul and was ordered from the pitch and this is when the cup-tie began to swing in the Teesside League team’s side.

Josh Simpson (BEADS FC) was replaced by his teammate Paul Crager in the 57th minute, and shortly after Ricky Nock (Newlands), who excelled in a back three along with Lloyd Henderson (Edgehill) and Ben Briggs (Filey Town), went down injured after making a brave challenge to halt a home attack.

Stuart Rose (Thirsk Falcons) then became the latest player to be shown a yellow card by Suchecci, and the hosts then threw on striker Mike Shellard (Whinney Banks) in place of their impressive right-winger James Hackett (Thornaby Dubliners), who had probably been their star player in the first half.

In the 66th minute Jenkinson dived into a challenge and was sent off for his second yellow, leaving the Scarborough team with a massive task to hang onto their lead.

From the resulting free-kick Lockwood collected the ball and slotted past the impressive Myers to get the Teessiders back in the game.

Exley, who had been struggling with a knock since the start of the second half, then limped off to be replaced by Whitby RFC midfielder Benn Sullivan and the visitors knew they had a battle on to stem the tide of home attacks.

Despite some determined work from the nine men of Scarborough, Lockwood finally drew the scores level in the 79th minute and it seemed only a matter of time before the Teesside League team wrapped up the win in normal time.

The visitors had other ideas and they put their bodies on the line to block every Teesside shot and pass and almost snatched a win when the outstanding Tommy Barker (West Pier) raced free of the Teesside defence and sent a dipping shot goalwards from 25 yards only for McDonald to pull off a stunning save to tip it over the bar.

Five minutes from time Henderson’s volley went agonisingly close after a corner and a minute later Myers pulled off another top save and the game went to extra-time.

Myers made another great stop six minutes into extra-time, but he could do nothing to stop the home side going in front for the first time, Stuart Rose smashing a spectacular volley into the net from a corner, a strike that would have been more at home in a Premier League stadium than a Teessdale Park on a damp April evening.

Myers then pulled off another brace of cracking stops to keep his side in the contest, West Pier midfielder Gary Thomas going close with a shot as the visitors refused to submit despite their tired limbs.

Whitby Fishermen’s keeper Paul Cull and Kile Fields (Newlands) replaced Myers and Barker respectively at half-time in extra-time and although Cull made a smart save to his left to keep out a Lilly free-kick in the 107th minute he could do nothing to stop Lockwood making it 4-2 from the penalty spot after he had been brought down, completing the hot-shot’s hat-trick.

Lockwood showed why he has scored 45 goals for league leaders Whinney Banks with two further goals as he completed his nap hand and the hosts’ 6-2 win.

Shaun Mancrief said: “I am very proud of the way the lads battled throughout the game and especially after the two sending-offs, which clearly took the game away from us.”

Keeper Myers and the tireless Barker were the stand-out performers, with sub Sullivan showing some fine touches during his 50 minutes on the pitch, but in truth every one of the Scarborough players gave it their all, and but for the dismissals of Dodson and skipper Jenkinson they would probably have progressed to the next round.

Scarborough team: Callum Myers (Newlands), Ricky Nock (Newlands), Lloyd Henderson (Edgehill), Ben Briggs (Filey Town), Jonny Manson (Newlands), Tommy Barker (West Pier), Shaun Dodson (Athletico2B), Curtis Rose (Westover Wasps), Gary Thomas (West Pier), Danny Jenkinson (Newlands, captain), Sean Exley (Newlands). Subs: Benn Sullivan (Whitby RFC, for Exley 72 mins), Kile Fields (Newlands, for Barker 105 mins), Paul Cull (Whitby Fisherman’s, for Myers 105 mins).

Teesside League team: Andrew McDonald (Whinney Banks), Ross Whatmore (BEADS FC), Jason Jones (Whinney Banks), Rhys Llewellyn (Whinney Banks, captain), James Hackett (Thornaby Dubliners), Josh Simpson (BEADS FC), Danny Lockwood (Whinney Banks), Daniel Maloney (Grangetown Boys Club), Stuart Rose (Thirsk Falcons), Lee Mahon (Whinney Banks), Karl Lilly (BEADS FC). Subs: Paul Grager (BEADS FC, for Simpson 57 mins), Mike Shellard (Whinney Banks, for Hackett 62mins), Jordan Wilson (Whinney Banks, for Rose, 99 mins). Not used: Taylor Crainey (BEADS FC), Jack Campbell (Whinney Banks)

In the two league games played tonight, Edgehill Reserves beat Duchess 7-1 in division two, Martyn Ferrey scored three, James Webb adding a brace and Daz Palmer and and Kiera Crzesiowski also netting, while Westover Wasps Reserves defeated Tennyson 1-0 in the third division.