Saturday cup: Ferrey fires Edgehill to victory

Edgehill Reserves, Tennyson, Eastway Sports and Seamer Sports Reserves claimed wins in the Scarborough & District FA Junior Cup second round, while there were losses for Seamer and USB in the NRCFA County Cup and Filey Reserves in the ERCFA Junior Country Cup.

By Andy Bloomfield
Saturday, 11th October 2014, 7:47 pm

A Martyn Ferrey double, along with goals from JP Watson and subs Keith Skelton and Dave Bell sealed a 5-0 home win for Edgehill Reserves against Ayton Reserves.

Bell scored a cracking 18-yard effort while midfielder Ferrey was named as the Edgehill man of the match.

Third division leaders Seamer Sports Reserves claimed a 6-0 home win against Scalby Reserves, Gary Dixon’s team smashing in three goals after only 12 minutes of the cup-tie.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

Left-winger Chris Mattison opened the scoring after only four minutes after collecting a pass from Gareth Sygrove, and man of the match Mattison returned the favour to help Sygrove net the first of his four goals, his second two minutes later putting the game beyond Scalby.

An own goal on the half-hour made it 4-0 to the hosts at half-time.

The visitors battled away after the break and it took until the final 10 minutes for Sygrove to complete his hat-trick after fine work from sub Danny Birley and he then scored a fourth after Matty Dawson’s fine pass.

A Sam Mahoney double helped a youthful Tennyson side see off visitors Sleights Reserves 4-0.

Nigel Forsyth and Adrian Kwiatkowski also netted for the hosts who had defender Ryan Wood as man of the match in a fine display, with Luca Dros also shining at centre-back.

Eastway Sports returned to winning ways with a 4-2 home win against Beckett League second division side Pickering Knights.

The visitors took an early lead against the run of play but Nathan Till levelled just before the break and an own goal made it 2-1 after the interval.

Sub Dave Darling fired in a free-kick to put Eastway in control, and although the Pickering side pulled it back to 3-2 hall killed off the game with a neat finish.

Midfielder Bobby Penny was the man of the match for Eastway with Darling also impressing after coming on in the second half.

Newlands Park Reserves also moved through to the next round as their opponents Old Malton St Mary’s Reserves failed to raise a full team.

Falsgrave Athletic suffered a 5-1 home defeat against Beckett League division one high-flyers Wombleton Wanderers.

The home scorer was Mark Reddy, who finished neatly after fine work from super-sub Joe Sunter.

Boss Lee Smyth hailed the whole team’s hard work in a fine display against a very strong Wombleton side.

Westover Wasps Reserves suffered a 7-0 home defeat against Eskvale and Cleveland League side Lealholm.

Filey Town Reserves dominated their ERCFA Junior Country Cup clash at home to Bridlington-based Northcote, but still suffered a 6-5 penalties defeat after drawing 2-2 after extra-time.

Tom Haxby’s fine strike from 15 yards put the hosts ahead, but the visitors levelled before half-time.

Dave Brannan’s penalty looked to have put Town through but a string of fine saves from the Northcote keeper denied the hosts and the Brid side snatched a leveller to take the game to extra-time, where once again Filey had the upper hand but failed to net a third.

The visiting keeper proved to be the match-winner as he saved their crucial sixth penalty-kick to hand his team a 6-5 win and a spot in the next round.

Centre-back Jamie Gallagher was man of the match for the home side.

Joe Tiffany and Luke Purvis netted for Seamer Sports in their 6-2 home defeat at the hands of Great Ayton United in the NRCFA County Cup.

Paddy Parke’s team were dealt an early double injury blow with Gaz Lawton taken off with a concussion after only three minutes and then Dan Jewitt was taken off with a suspected broken ankle, and Seamer never really recovered from this as United surged into a 4-0 lead.

Joe Gallagher was the Seamer man of the match.

A depleted USB lost out 4-2 at home to a strong Lingdale United team.

The away team roared into a 3-0 half-time lead, but Liam Vasey gave USB hope with a goal early in the second half after Tommy Day’s precise cross.

The visitors restored their three-goal advantage, but again the hosts came back, this time Tom Williamson netting but United held on for their win.

Player-manager David Oxley, who was forced to play the full 90 minutes despite only just coming back from an ankle injury, gave the man of the match award to the whole team for their effort against a good Lingdale team.