Saturday cup round-up: Fishermen dig deep to sink Goalsports

Top-flight Whitby Fishermen’s Society battled back from 2-0 down to earn a 7-3 home win against Goalsports in the League Cup, while Sleights won 3-0 at FC Rosette and Fishburn Park Reserves coasted to a 5-0 victory at home to Filey 3rds in the League Trophy.

By Andy Bloomfield
Saturday, 26th September 2015, 9:04 pm

Niall Prentice put Mark Plumpton’s Goalsports in front after 20 minutes, after fine approach play from Tyson Stubbings.

Five minutes later Mike Grayshan lost his marker with a fine turn on the right and then set up Kieran Friett to fire home and a shock looked to be on the cards.

The visitors spurned a couple of chances to extend their lead and this proved costly as Whitby Fishermen’s levelled with a quickfire brace from Neil Hart before the interval and a Dave Welham header put them 3-2 in front at the break.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

Goalsports refused to buckle though and they levelled five minutes into the second half, Prentice returning the favour by setting up Stubbings for the visitors’ third goal.

The hosts then began to hit their stride and pulled clear thanks to a double from Jordan Purvis and goals from Dan Bailey and Paul Jobling.

Plumpton singled out Brad Parkin as their man of the match for a strong display at right-back.

Fishermen’s boss Mark Storr was a relieved man: “Goalsports were a very fit, young side and the scoreline certainly flattered us as they did not deserve to lose 7-3, they are a good set of lads and it made for a great cup-tie.”

Welham was named as the home side’s man of the match for a commanding performance at centre-back.

Another Whitby side had to work hard for a win against a third division side as Sleights grafted for a 3-0 success at FC Rosette.

The hosts were the better side in the first half but failed to turn their good efforts into a goal and Sleights made them pay after the break.

Man of the match Adam Young opened the scoring in the 55th minute with a free-kick and 10 minutes later Ben Watson lobbed the keeper to make sure of the win and a third from Billy Graham completed the scoring.

Ste Ross banged in four goals as Fishburn Park Reserves secured their first win of the season, a 5-0 home triumph against Filey Town Reserves in the League Trophy.

Ross netted the first four goals and Tom Wardell completed the scoring, with Ross the man of the match but centre-back Steve Hunter also impressing.

Kieran Noble also saved a penalty for the hosts in the 70th minute.

Grant Hayden was named as the Town man of the match for a strong display, starting at centre-half then moving into central midfield.