SATURDAY DIVISIONS 2 & 3: Rosette beat leaders Eastway in thriller

Division Three leaders Eastway Sports suffered a late 3-2 defeat at home to second-placed FC Rosette, while Division Two leaders Seamer Reserves won 1-0 at rivals Duchess.

By The Newsroom
Saturday, 23rd January 2016, 6:22 pm
Updated Saturday, 23rd January 2016, 6:29 pm
Saturday League reports
Saturday League reports

Jamie Wray put Rosette in front on 15 minutes in this crucial Division Three clash and 10 minutes before half-time Louis Hird doubled the visitors’ lead.

Eastway Sports player-boss Eric Hall pushed himself up front for the second half from central midfield and this soon paid off, as he smashed home a 25-yard strike into the top corner of the net, and he then netted a leveller to set up a cracking finale.

Five minutes from time Simon MacDonald prodded home the winner for Rosette, the goal standing despite strong appeals from the hosts for handball by the visitors.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

Hunmanby United Reserves boosted their promotion hopes with a 2-0 win at Itis Itis Rovers.

Dean Coates tapped in the opener for the visitors after the Rovers keeper had failed to hold onto a shot.

Max Wood’s 20-yard strike doubled the lead for United, whose man of the match was veteran central midfielder Paul Allick.

Sherburn cruised to a 5-0 win at Scalby Reserves despite playing 50 minutes with only 10 men.

Paul Mills opened the scoring for Andy Adamson’s side, Liam Scott claiming the assist as the marksman finished neatly after a one-on-one with the home keeper.

Steve Parker’s free-kick made it 2-0 and the win was effectively sealed with a rare goal from Rich Malthouse.

Five minutes before the interval Scott saw red after reacting to a challenge by Jake Scutt.

This failed to deter the visitors as they made it 4-0 when another collector’s item, a Carl Sample strike, evaded the Scalby keeper.

The scoring was completed by Matty Whitehall after Adamson flicked on a Ross Anderson corner.

Adamson gave the man of the match award to the whole team for a great all-round performance.

Commercial moved out of the bottom two thanks to a 3-2 win at Westover Wasps Reserves, who ended the game with only nine men.

Josh Dolan and Macauley Riley netted to put Commercial 2-0 ahead, but Wasps halved the deficit through Kyle O’Toole.

Terry Dixon then saw red for the hosts, and Chris Cowling promptly put Commercial 3-1 ahead.

Mark Bean gave Westover late hope with their second, but the sending-off of Shem Atkinson ended any hopes of a revival.

Central midfielder Connor Bell was the man of the match for Wasps, while his counterpart Matty Rowley was the star man for Commercial.

Seamer Sports Reserves dug deep for a 1-0 Division Two win in a gritty clash at Duchess.

Luke Tinker scored the only goal of the game after the home keeper failed to hold onto a shot in the second half.

Seamer keeper Darrol Lewis was their man of the match, pulling off a string of fine saves to keep his side in charge.

Returning defender Matty Hobson was named as the star man for Paul McBean’s depleted side, with Danny Hague and Chris Ryan also impressing as stand-in strikers.

Newlands Reserves boosted their title push with a superb comeback from 3-0 down at half-time to win 4-3 at home to rivals Edgehill Reserves.

The visitors were clinical in the first half and looked to be cruising to victory but a brace of goals from Stew Bates in the 55th and 70th minutes gave Joe Hakings’ side hope of a revival.

Eight minutes from time Hughie Brown levelled with a header, and six minutes later Drew McCoubrey’s deflected shot secured the points for Newlands.

Chris Bowman, who moved from central midfield to defence, was named as the Newlands man of the match.

Harry Sleep and Jack Pinder banged in a hat-trick apiece as Cayton Corinthians Reserves eased to a 7-1 win against lowly Falsgrave Athletic.

Sleep scored twice early on to put Cayton on top, and although Falsgrave replied, Pinder then scored three times - his first coming from a fine through-ball from Sleep - to steer the villagers into a 5-1 lead.

Josh Venner smashed in a stunning shot to make it 6-1 and Sleep completed his hat-trick to round off the scoring.

Scalby surged to a 7-1 success at relegation-battling West Pier Reserves, Dan Peel smacking in a hat-trick for the victors.

Mikey Hartnett opened the scoring for Scalby, and then a brilliant pass from Rich Simpson was latched into by Peel who slotted home.

Hartnett added his second to make it 3-0, then Peel scored the goal of the game, a ‘rabona’ from the edge of the area and banged in another to complete his hat-trick as Scalby led 5-0 at half-time.

Goals from Mark Oldroyd and Mark Vasey continued Scalby’s dominance, Pier hitting a consolation 15 minutes from time.

Simpson was hailed by boss Dan Argyle for an outstanding performance which saw him play a part in five of the seven goals.