Saturday League: Glendinning hat-trick boosts Edgehill title bid

Striker Danny Glendinning fired Edgehill to a 9-0 home win against Whitby RUFC, a result that takes Steven Clegg’s side into second in the Scarborough News Saturday League Division One table.

By Andy Bloomfield
Saturday, 31st October 2015, 7:50 pm
Liam Scott (Sherburn) skips past an opponent during his sides 9-1 win against Westover Reserves. Photo by: Graeme Farrah. 31.10.2015

Jackson Jowett put the hosts in front on 15 minutes and six minutes later Daniel Jones made it 2-0 from the spot, and four minutes the points were effectively sealed by a Danny Collins effort.

Jones missed a penalty before half-time, but Tom Scales netted from the spot seven minutes into the second half to make it 4-0.

Man of the match Glendinning struck his first on 65 minutes, an own goal in the 70th minute making it 6-0.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

James Seymour gets tackled by a Sherburn opponent. Photo by: Graeme Farrah. 31.10.2015

Glendinning then scored in the 85th and 87th minutes to complete his treble, Scales netted his second in the 88th minute as Edgehill finished with a flourish.

Filey Town worked hard to battle back from 3-1 down with only 10 men to earn a 3-3 home draw with Seamer Sports.

Gaz Lawton’s double put Paddy Parke’s team in charge, although the hosts had hit the post twice when the score was still goalless.

Shortly after Town had halved the deficit Daz Clough was shown the red card for allegedly swearing at the ref, then Luke Delve added a third and the points seemed to be heading back to Seamer.

But Filey had other ideas and struck twice to earn a share of the spoils. Liam Sugden scored twice for the hosts, with Will Hunter also netting.

Seamer chief Paddy Parke said: “I am proud of how all the lads grafted together and we deserved more from the game.”

Town boss Dave Brannan added: “I think the players battled really well especially in the second half to get a point with 10 men and we could have nicked it late on.”

Newlands Park Reserves ace Jordan Mintoft hit a hat-trick as his side claimed top spot in Division Two with a hard-earned win at Falsgrave.

Konrad Sygitowicz put the hosts in front in the first half, but Drew McCoubrey levelled five minutes after half-time.

Sam Chambers put Newlands in front and on 65 minutes Mintoft scored his first, only for Zac Hansen to pull it back to 3-2 five minutes later.

Mintoft completed his hat-trick with two goals in the final 10 minutes.

Stalwart Hugh Brown continued his fine form with another man of the match award for Joe Hakings’ side.

Duchess move up to third place with a 3-1 home win against Edgehill Reserves, Ian Jenkinson netting all three goals.

Jenkinson’s fine far post finish put Duchess in front then he forced home the ball from close range to double Paul McBean’s side’s lead before the break.

Edgehill pulled a goal back after the break but Jenkinson sealed the win his third two minutes from time.

Jenkinson was the man of the match for Duchess after a fine display up front.

West Pier Reserves striker Chris Weetman was yet another hat-trick hero, his goals helping the hosts to a 5-3 win against Cayton Corinthians Reserves.

Dean Andrews also netted for Pier as they built a 4-1 lead, Simon Stubbs having scored earlier for Cayton, the visitors also having a goal scrubbed out for offside early on.

Graeme Reid’s late effort looked to have eased the hosts to the win but a Daniel Louth finish and an Adam Robertshaw header gave Cayton late hope but they hung on, their keeper Gregor Jankowski making some fine late saves.

FC Rosette closed the gap on Division Three leaders Eastway Sports thanks to a 4-2 home win against Hunmanby United Reserves.

The Newby side had to do it the hard way, as they went 2-0 down after only 10 mintuies to United, but an own goal and Joe Logan’s fierce 18-yard strike levelled the scores by half-time.

Man of the match Alex Wray made it 3-2 with a well-taken goal and Sam Loy nipped in to notch the fourth after a fine cross from Wayne Shaw.

Paul Mills hit four and Liam Scott three as Sherburn roared to a 9-1 win at Westover Wasps Reserves.

Player-boss Andy Adamson and Sam Rackham also scored for the villagers, Adamson having now scored at least one goal in every season for 25 years in local league football.

In-form Jordan Wharton was named as the man of the match for the villagers.

Liam Jennings fired in a treble as Commercial won 5-2 at home to Filey Town 3rds.

Jennings also missed a spot-kick after having scored twice, but went on to complete his hat-trick, while Macca Riley also banged in a brace.

Stu Dickens scored twice for the visitors.

Scalby Reserves coasted to a 4-1 home win against Fishburn Park Reserves.

Nick David opened the scoring for the hosts direct form a corner and then Tom Bayes superbly headed in a well-flighted cross from man of the match Craig Furnell.

Thomas Hawksfield pulled a goal back for Park but a brace from Nick Turley, both set up by the lively Tommy Day, wrapped up the points for Jeff Brader’s troops, who also had Jon Bateman in top form up front.

The game between Eastway Sports and Sleights Reserves was postponed due to no ref being available.