Saturday League: Newlands and Edgehill suffer cup defeats

Newlands Park and Edgehill both suffered defeats in the Scarborough & District FA Harbour Cup first round, losing 4-2 at home to Filey Town and 2-0 at West Pier respectively.

Saturday, 27th September 2014, 8:13 pm

Filey opened the scoring through a Liam Barnes free-kick three minutes before half-time, although Park boss Shaun Mancrief believed that Barnes should have been sent off for a foul when he was last man earlier in the half, but was shown a yellow card instead.

The visitors soon made it 2-0 when a Ryan Baldry throw was flicked on by Barnes to Ben Briggs, who fired the ball in.

Park, who were without a host of first-choice players and included seven who were reserve-teamers last season, refused to submit and halved the deficit through Danny Jenkinson a minute before half-time.

Barnes was shown a second yellow card two minutes into the second half, but despite going down to 10 men, further goals from James Pinder and Phil Dickens made it 4-1 by the hour mark, although Park’s man of the match, centre-back Matty Griffiths scored a spot-kick to give the hosts hope.

The away team’s defence battled well to withstand a sustained spell of pressure from Newlands to book their spot in the second round.

West Pier earned a 2-0 home win against Edgehill thanks to a double from Neil Thomas.

After a goalless first half, Thomas missed a penalty before he scored his brace of goals to send Edgehill, who were without Dean Craig, Lloyd Henderson, Gary Hepples, Tom Hickin and Jordan Shaw, out.

Sam Garnett and Luke Delve were the joint men of the match for Andy Spivey’s side.

Seamer Sports kick-started their season with a 6-2 win at second division high-flyers Scalby.

Paddy Parke’s side had the better of the opening exchanges but a string of fine saves from the hosts’ man of the match, keeper Tom Manson, maintained a clean sheet, and when skipper Rich Brice broke free to put Scalby ahead, Parke was once again fearing the worst.

Matty Forsyth levelled the scores with a spot-kick, then the goal of the game, a scorching first-time volley from Matt Sheader, put the visitors in front at the interval.

Dan Jewitt made it 3-1 early in the second half, and although a Rich Simpson penalty brought Scalby back to within a goal, Seamer pulled away thanks to sub Gaz Lawton setting Forsyth up for his second and the latter then completed his hat-trick, wing-back Dan Bradbury wrapping up the scoring for Seamer. Parke hailed his team as the winners of the man of the match for a great overall effort.

Ayton cruised to a 4-0 home win against third division Tennyson, with Dan Peel and Paul Oldroyd scoring a brace apiece.

Peel’s two smart finished put Ayton 2-0 up by half-time, then Oldroyd smashed in the third and fourth, the last a cracking 22-yard strike.

Centre-back Shaun Fell was named as the Ayton man of the match, with Nigel Forsyth Tennyson’s star man.

Martin Foxton’s hat-trick steered Ryedale Sports Club to a 4-1 win at Hunmanby United.

Foxton opened the scoring with a neat finish after a good turn, and made it 2-0 with a thumping 30-yard finish after some great build-up play.

United pulled a goal back after a defensive mix-up and only a fine block by defender Tom Tate stopped Hunmanby levelling the scores. This proved crucial as from the clearance the ball broke free for man of the match Foxton to wrap up his hat-trick and restore Ryedale’s two-goal lead.

Jordan Thackeray wrapped up the win with a neat finish after fine play from Adam Hornby, and Martin Myers missed a spot-kick after having been fouled in the area.

Westover Wasps suffered a 3-0 defeat at Lealholm, with all the goals coming in the opening 20 minutes.

Whitby Fisherman’s Society lost 4-2 at Kirkby, with Mark Swales putting them 1-0 up and Andrew Wardill making it 2-2.

The York League side struck twice in the second half to pull clear, Callum Ogden the star man for Whitby.

Snainton secured a dramatic 5-4 extra-time win at Filey Town Reserves in the League Trophy.

A Martin Kelly double and a Karl Cooper, after man of the match Kelly had been fouled, put Snainton 3-0 up at the break.

A Joe Gage brace and a last-minute header from player-boss Lee Cappleman saw Filey take the game into extra-time, but goals from Ryan Collins and Mikey Webster - both set up by long goal-kicks from player-manager Leigh Watson - made it 5-3 to Snainton at half-time in extra-time.

Martin Jenkinson gave Filey renewed hope in the second extra period but Snainton held on for the win.

Duchess came back from 1-0 down to earn a 5-2 win at a depleted Newlands Park Reserves team.

The hosts took an early lead through a strike from the in-form Stew Bates in the 14th minute, but an Ian Laing double put Paul McBean’s team ahead, only for Newlands to level again three minutes before half-time through debutant Dean Andrews, who finished well after latching onto a long through-ball.

Less than a minute after the leveller, Jack Worthy was forced to leave the field with a suspected broken nose, allowing Sean Pinder to make his first appearance for Newlands this season after re-signing from Athletico2B, slotting into central midfield.

A minute later central midfielder Adam North, put Duchess ahead again.

The home side played a lot better after the interval but they were unable to force a way through the Duchess defence and Nick Bell made the game safe in the 73rd minute with a neat finish and an own goal completed the scoring five minutes from time.

Right-back Si McCallaugh was man of the match for Newlands, while North shone for Duchess.

Eastway Sports eased into the second round with a 3-0 win at fellow third division side Commercial.

Marky Taylor opened the scoring in the 50th minute with a close-range finish and a Rob Clark penalty and a Nathan Till free-kick wrapped up the win.

Centre-back James Martin was man of the match for Eastway with keeper Brad Easton also impressing.

USB pushed into the top half of the first division table with a 4-1 home win against Sleights.

Tommy Day put USB ahead after 20 minutes with a great strike from 25 yards which flew into the top corner of the net, but Marc Kipling levelled for the visitors.

Liam Vasey’s low 30-yard shot restored the lead for Dave Oxley’s side after the break, and a second goal for Tommy Day and a neat finish from his brother Terry - after a Georgie Rose free-kick - wrapped up the win for USB.

Tommy Day was named as the home side’s man of the match while Luke Asbury was yet again the stand-out player for Sleights.

Whitby RUFC roared back from 2-0 down to earn an 8-3 second division win at home to Cayton Corinthians.

Jake McAleese scored direct from a corner to put Cayton ahead and former Scarborough FC hot-shot Darren Foreman added a second after an assist from fellow ex-Boro ace Shaun Rennison.

Whitby pulled a goal back before half-time with a Dave Welham spot-kick, and man of the match Paul Jobling levelled the scores early in the second half with a fierce shot.

Sam Richardson put Whitby ahead with a powerful effort, then Marc Usher made it 4-2, but the goal of the game came next when Jobling lobbed the keeper from the half-way line.

Usher struck another goal before Josh Venner hit another for the villagers, but Damon Craig’s fine control and thumping shot and a hat-trick strike for Jobling wrapped up the win for Ste Mothersdale’s team.

Athletico2B dug deep for a crucial 3-2 win at West Pier Reserves, with player-manager Nick David putting in a match-winning display for the visitors in goal.

Good work from Shaun Goodwin set up Shaun Dodson to slot past the Pier keeper to take the lead, and Dodson’s great square ball to Goodwin then helped him to make it 2-0 from close range.

Martin Young’s deflected shot gave Pier hope in the 55th minute, then a Mikey Barker penalty levelled the scores, but a string of fine saves from David kept the scores level and Dodson set up Goodwin for his second to grab the three points.

Andy Sheader and Young shared the man of the match award for Pier while David was the outstanding player for the victors.

Edgehill Reserves coasted to a 13-0 home win against FC Rosette, with super-sub JP Watson scoring four goals in a cameo performance.

The hosts brought on Watson and teenager Ryan Link for the final half-hour and both made a huge impact, Watson scoring four and Link two. Striker Joe Logan fired in a hat-trick, with fellow forward Dave Bell scoring a brace and Martyn Ferrey scoring two as well.

The goal of the game was the final move of the game, Link chipping the Rosette keeper from the half-way line with the final kick of the game. Jason Prosser was man of the match for Edgehill for his excellent creative output, with left-back Lloyd Henderson also impressing.

Seamer Sports Reserves came back from a goal down to win 5-1 at fellow third division high-flyers Cayton Corinthians Reserves.

Jake Sands opened the scoring from the penalty spot in the 25th minute, but Kris Tate levelled for the visitors shortly afterwards and neat work from Connor Myerscough saw him lob the keeper to make it 2-1 at half-time.

Ten minutes into the second half Nick Kamen-Bartle pulled the ball back for Tate to put Seamer 3-1 ahead and then Tate set up Sygrove to add a fourth in the 80th minute, an own goal five minutes later capping the win.

Centre-back Matthew Burling was the man of the match for Gary Dixon’s triumphant team, while Mike Szalabski shone for Cayton up front.

Sleights Reserves made a remarkable comeback from 4-1 down to draw 4-4 at home to Sherburn.

Liam Scott’s header put the visitors ahead early on, but a Steve McGill levelled the scores only for a second Scott header to make it 2-1 to Andy Adamson’s side.

The game was then held up for 25 minutes due to a serious knee injury to the Sherburn centre-forward James Fletcher, Adamson having to climb off the bench to play up front, and he made a rapid impact scoring his side’s third, again with a header.

Sixteen-year-old Harry Walmsley capped a man of the match display with his side’s fourth headed goal to put the visitors in the driving seat.

When Scott stepped up to take a penalty on the hour mark the game seemed to be safe, but the home keeper saved the spot-kick to deny him his hat-trick and this seemed to spark Sleights into life.

Dan Wilson’s penalty gave the home side hope and then late strikes from close range by Mike Brennan and Simon Taylor salvaged a point for the home side who had Richard Davies on top form.

Falsgrave Athletic moved up into second spot with a 6-1 home win against Scalby Reserves.

A Mikey Anderson hat-trick and a Zac Hansen strike put the hosts 4-0 up at half-time, but the visitors pulled a goal back and then had a spot-kick saved by Shaun Gough.

Hansen then made it 5-1 and Mark Reddy polished the game off, Hansen unselfishly pulling the ball back to Reddy when he could easily have gone for goal himself.

Right-winger Joe Sunter was man of the match for Falsgrave for a cracking display, while central midfielders Paul Reddy and Gavin McGough also worked very hard for their team.

Ayton Reserves earned a morale-boosting 3-2 home win against Westover Wasps Reserves.

The hosts went ahead after only five minutes, right-back Sam Whitehead passing to Kieran Friett, whose great finish beat the Westover keeper.

Ten minutes before half-time a free-kick from the halfway line found Niall Prentice, who set up Mike Grayshan to flick the ball on for Robbie Gill to score.

Thomas Mackenzie-Fenwick pulled a goal back for Wasps on the hour mark with a thumping 25-yard strike, but two minutes later Prentice and Friett linked up and the latter slotted home to restore Ayton’s two-goal lead.

Mark Bean netted from six yards in the final minute to set up a tense finale but Ayton hung on for the win.

Left-winger Friett was man of the match for Ayton, while Prentice also impressed in the hole behind the strikers. Youngsters Mark Wade and Will Smith impressed for Wasps.