Saturday League: USB Battle back at struggling Ayton while Seamer Reserves march on

Dave Oxley’s United Sports Bar battled back from 3-1 down to beat Ayton 5-4 and move third in the division one table.

By Daniel Gregory
Saturday, 1st November 2014, 7:11 pm
Saturday League round-up by Daniel Gregory
Saturday League round-up by Daniel Gregory

USB led 1-0 through Tom Williamson’s strike but hosts Ayton fought their way back into matters and three quick goals handed them to initiative.

They weren’t in front for long though as Matty Turner netted and Williamson grabbed his second before the break to ensure the sides went in level at the interval.

Oxley’s men took charge after the switcharound, Williamson completing his hat-trick before Tommy Day fired them 5-3 ahead.

Ayton hit back again with 15 minutes left on the clock and then laid siege to young keeper John Woodhead’s goal, but they were denied on several occasions by a mixture of the woodwork, defensive blocks and saves from the impressive keeper.

Oxley said: “I thought we deserved to win the game. We had a sloppy spell when they scored three quick goals, but we defended well on the whole.”

The USB boss praised his entire side but singled out hat-trick hero Williamson, keeper Woodhead and centre-back Zak Poole.

Sleights picked up three much-needed points after a 2-0 win against Hunmanby United.

Luke Asbury was their star man as he netted their first before crossing for Sam Wiggins to fire in their second.

Asbury was named as the Whitby side’s man of the match.

Newlands Reserves won 4-0 at a lacklustre Scalby in division two.

Former Scalby man Matthew Shone headed Newlands in front and the away side never looked back.

Impressive front man James Tadman was given too much time and space at the back post and he nodded in past stand-in keeper Kev Sunderland for 2-0 heading into the break.

Scalby had chances to get back into the game before the break but a lack of composure in the final ball ensured Park held their 2-0 lead at the break.

Newlands had to wait until the 75th minute to make it 3-0 when referee George Roberts pointed the spot and man of the match Stefan Moon drilled in from the resulting penalty.

The rout was completed when a cross was turned into his own net in unfortunate fashion by makeshift centre-back Carl Marton.

Tadman and Moon stood out for Newlands, while Scalby manager Daniel Gregory was disappointed with his entire side, who suffered their first league defeat of the season and fourth loss on the bounce in the process.

Seamer Reserves made it seven wins from seven in division three as they hammered Scalby Reserves 7-0.

Kris Tate put Gary Dixon’s men 1-0 up before his corner was tapped in by Matty Drury 2-0.

It was 3-0 after 12 minutes, veteran Matty Dawson firing in from outside the box.

Tate’s corner was then flicked on by Matty Drury and finished by Matty Burling for 4-0 before a poor kick from the Scalby keeper was intercepted by Conner Myerscough, who duly netted for a half-time lead of 5-0.

The visitors battled valiantly after the break and Seamer had to wait until the 78th minute to extend their lead to 6-0, Myerscough grabbing his second.

Substitute Craig Love wrapped up the scoring a minute later with a superb finish.

Boss Dixon picked out Burling as his side’s star man.

A 35-yard wonderstrike from substitute Neal Castleton handed Westover Reserves a share of the spoils from their visit to Tennyson.

An Aiden Cooper strike just before the break handed Nigel Trotter’s men the lead and it looked like they were going to come away with three points until the 83rd minute when Castleton picked up the ball and sent the ball rocketting into the top corner.

Tennyson boss Trotter admitted Westover’s work-rate meant they deserved a share of the spoils, before he singled out Nathan Patterson and centre-back Luka Dros as his side’s stand-out performers.

Westover chief Paul Brunger hailed the impact from the bench of goalscorer Castleton and Mark Wade.

Sleights Reserves’ poor start to the season continued with a 3-1 defeat at Falsgrave Athletic.

A Michael Brennan strike wasn’t enough for the Whitby-based side, who remain second-bottom in the league table as a result.

Despite their defeat, Spencer Hewison stood out for the away side.