Scarborough League sides march into Junior Cup quarter-finals

Filey Town Reserves, Newlands Park Reserves and Edgehill Reserves all booked their places in the last eight of the Scarborough & District FA Junior Cup with home wins on Saturday.

By Andy Bloomfield
Saturday, 15th November 2014, 5:55 pm

Filey Town Reserves were not at their best but still managed a 4-3 home win against Beckett League division one high-flyers Wombleton Wanderers.

Max Gage’s header from a free-kick put Town in front and a clever free-kick from Dave Brannan, the goal of the game, saw him lob the Wombleton keeper as he wandered off his line to double Filey’s advantage by the 20-minute mark.

The away side soon halved the deficit and then drew level on the stroke of half-time with a penalty.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

Wombleton then went in front in the 75th minute, but Lee Cappleman’s side refused to submit and equalised five minutes later with a 20-yard shot from Jamie Gallagher.

Four minutes from time Martin Jenkinson headed in from a corner to send Town through.

Cappleman said: “We were very poor today but the main thing is we got through to the next round. Only Dave Brannan and Jamie Gallagher stood out for us.”

Star striker Mikey Barker put in a five-star display as Edgehill Reserves cruised into the last eight of the cup with a 6-1 hammering of third division visitors Tennyson.

Barker and Martyn Ferrey, from the penalty spot, notched to put Dan I’Anson’s side 2-0 ahead at the half-time interval, and Barker made it thre early in second half only for Tennyson man of the match Nathan Paterson to pull a goal back for the visitors.

Three more goals from Barker made sure of the win for Edgehill, his fifth and final goal being the pick of the bunch as he controlled the ball well and fired his shot into the top corner of the net.

Defender Lee Dennis was the man of the match for the victors.

Newlands Park Reserves also moved through the quarter-finals with a 1-0 home win against York League side Malton & Norton Reserves.

Chris Dove scored in the first half with a close-range finish and Park keeper Ben Luntley, who was the hosts’ man of the match, made a great save in the final minute to deny Malton a leveller.

The game between Heslerton and Seamer Sports Reserves was abandoned after 73 minutes, with the hosts 4-2 ahead, after an alleged incident involving a Seamer player and the match official.

Kris Tate’s 30-yard free-kick had pulled the score back to 2-1 for Seamer before half-time and when Gareth Sygrove smacked in a Dan Birley cross to make it 2-2 in the 67th minute it seemed Seamer were on a roll but two goals in five minutes put the Beckett League division one team back on top before the game was halted by the referee due to the alleged incident.