Ten-man Filey Reserves edge past Edgehill in thriller

Commercial pile on the pressure.150322hCommercial pile on the pressure.150322h
Commercial pile on the pressure.150322h
Ten-man Filey Town Reserves dug deep to win 3-2 at home to defending second division champions Edgehill Reserves to keep the pressure on leaders Whitby RFC, who claimed a 6-2 home win against Athletico2B.

Town opened the scoring with a well-taken goal from Tom Haxby, but Joe Logan levelled for Dan I’Anson’s troops.

Max Gage’s header restored Town’s lead before the interval but after the break Martyn Ferrey levelled from the penalty spot, and when Dave Wedge was sent off for Filey the game seemed to have swing in the visitors favour.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Rather than hold on for the point Lee Cappleman’s side went for the win, which made for a very open final half-hour, but it was Town who clinched the win thanks to a powerful finish from youngster Billy Coyne in the 70th minute.

Town’s whole team impressed in this crucial win, while youngster Jack Wood was the man of the match for Edgehill’s second string.

Marc Usher and Sam Richardson scored a brace apiece as pacesetters Whitby RFC saw off Athletico2B 6-2 in a keenly-fought clash.

Usher opened the scoring for the hosts but straight from the restart the Cats levelled, James Ledden racing clear to set up Ben David, who beat two Whitby defenders and slotted home.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The visitors had chances to go ahead but fine saves from keeper Jamie Wassall kept the hosts in it, and two goals in quick succession just before half-time, a Richardson header at the far post followed by an Usher sidefoot from Dave Welham’s pass, earned the Whitby side a 3-1 half-time lead.

Veteran Steve Chapman headed in Shaun Dodson’s free-kick early in the second half to bring Athletico2B back into it, but Richardson, again from a Welham through-ball, restored the home side’s two-goal lead.

Goals from Paul Jobling and Phil Spencer sealed the win for the hosts, whose man of the match was Chad Swales.

Centre-back Chris Bowman was the star man for the Cats.

West Pier Reserves edged away from the relegation zone with a hard-earned 3-3 home draw against Scalby, despite a spot of bother for Pier striker Rob Speight.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Speight scored the opener for Pier, but only from a rebound after his initial spot-kick was saved by stand-in keeper Kev Sunderland, and when a second penalty was awarded Sunderland saved it once again to deny Pier a second goal.

Ash Townley levelled for Scalby five minutes into the second half, but player-boss Ray Thorpe’s fine through-ball then set Chris Weetman free to restore Pier’s lead.

Youngster Sam Hepples and Dan Peel then truck in swift succession to turn the game on its head as Scalby went 3-2 up and Peel then missed several good chances to put the game beyond Pier.

This proved to be costly as in the final minute Ben Brown headed in a leveller for Pier.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Rob Bowman as man of the match for Pier for a strong display in central midfield, while Peel was Scalby’s star man.

Newlands Reserves battled back from 1-0 down to earn a 3-1 win at home to relegation-battlers Snainton.

A cracking 30-yard strike from Rob Holt gave Snainton the lead, but Stefan Moon hammered in a shot from the same distance 10 minutes before half-time to make it all-square.

Five minutes into the second half the ball broke free to Lewis Weller 35 yards from goal and he judged his shot to perfection to find the corner of the net and put Newlands in front.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Stew Bates showed great movement and a neat finish to secure the win with the hosts’ third goal 15 minutes from time.

Gary Lumbis was the man of the match for Newlands while Matty Vincent and player-boss Leigh Watson excelled for the villagers.

Cayton Corinthians Reserves fought back from 3-1 down to earn a 3-3 draw with Sherburn in a division three game switched to Oliver’s Mount.

Ross Anderson headed Sherburn in front, only for Mike Szalabski to level for Cayton. Goals from Matty Pickard and Paul Mills put Andy Adamson’s side in charge at half-time.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Cayton piled on the pressure after the break and reduced the arrears with a Josh Sands shot, midfielder Ash Durham making the scores level with a neat effort.

Only a strong of fine saves from Sherburn man of the match Jordan Lee in the final 15 minutes, the third one a stunning stop from Durham in the final minute, managed to earn Sherburn a point.

Sands and 16-year-old midfielder Jonathan Read were Cayton’s star men.

Leaders Seamer Sports Reserves eased to an 8-0 win at Ayton Reserves, the hosts being hampered by the fact 10 of their 13 players had played in the earlier first-team 3-2 loss for Ayton against USB at Wilson’s Lane.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Only a string of fine saves from Ayton keeper Shaun Dolan kept the Seamer score down to single figures.

Danny Glendinning banged in a treble for Seamer, while seasoned campaigner Gaz Walters weighed in with a brace. Kris Tate, Connor Myerscough and Chris Mattison also netted for the visitors, Matty Dawson receiving their man of the match for a commanding display pulling the strings in the centre of midfield.

Ayton boss Jon Hick was proud of the effort of his 13 players considering that most of them had already played a game for the firsts immediately before this fixture.

Second-placed Falsgrave Athletic remain in touch with Seamer after a hard-fought 2-1 home win against Eastway Sports.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A Nathan Till effort put the away side in front on 15 minutes, but centre-back Simon Young headed in a leveller for Falsgrave on the half-hour mark from a corner.

Zac Hansen’s 30-yard free-kick evaded the keeper after the break to earn Athletic a crucial three points in their quest for promotion, but only a couple of fine saves from stand-in keeper Ryan Goodworth maintained the hosts’ lead.

Mikey Anderson had a 90th-minute penalty saved by the Eastway keeper, who had a fine game.

Sam Chambers and Adrian Kwiatkowski scored two goals apiece as Tennyson eased to a 5-1 home win against Sleights Reserves.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Mark Walker also notched for the hosts, with Steve McGill netting for the villagers.

Chambers was man of the match for Tennyson and Rich Fletcher was Sleights’ star man.

Jack South’s 85th-minute strike earned Scalby Reserves a 1-1 draw at Commercial.

Chris Maiello’s stunning long-range strike gave Luke Jenkinson’s side the first-half lead, but in the final 20 minutes the Scalby lads came to life, and South levelled with five minutes left after a fine ball from Jon Bateman.

Veteran Lee Darrell was the man of the match for Scalby while Sam Raper earned the plaudits for the hosts.